Definition of “human rights defender” falling under the Fund’s mandate
According to the Fund’s mission, a human rights defender is an individual or an entity that works for the promotion of the human rights of others by documenting, monitoring, and protecting them peacefully, on a regular basis or occasionally, for a fee or voluntarily, and while recognizing the universality of human rights as defined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (1948);
The fact that the activities of the individual or entity protecting and promoting the rights of others may lead to the promotion and protection of the individual’s or entity’s own rights does not diminish their status as human rights defenders;
In the above definition of human rights defender, “human rights” refer to the basic human rights that were recognized or will be recognized under the international legal documents that form International Human Rights Law, including collective rights;
The recognition of an individual or entity as a human rights defender will be conducted always within the context of his activities to protect and promote human rights.
Definition of “need for assistance” falling under the Fund’s mandate
For the purpose of the Fund’s activity, a human rights defender’s “need for assistance” relates to the financial resources needed in order to finance:
- Legal protection for the defense of a human rights defender based on the suspicion that the said legal actions have been taken against him because of his activity as human rights defender, especially if these actions are taken in order to deter him and/or others from continuing this activity (“direct assistance”);
- Professional activities for the protection or promotion of human rights carried out by a human rights defender recognized as such (“direct assistance”).
- Services facilitating activities mentioned above in A and B and other types of direct assistance to protect and promote human rights of others, when these services are designed to allow and/or protect these activities (“indirect assistance”).
In the initial stage, prior to the adoption of the final full criteria, the Fund’s Board of Directors will act according to the following parameters in making decisions concerning the allocation of financial resources:
- Preference will be given in allocating resources to finance the criminal cases against community leaders who are human rights defenders and active in the struggle against human rights abuses towards the Palestinians in the West Bank, and when suspicion is aroused that the charges were filed based on their human rights defender activities, and especially when the suspicion is that the intention is to deter them and/or others from continuing these activities.
- Preference will be given to financing the professional legal activities of human rights defenders for representation of detainees arrested during demonstrations against human rights violations in the occupied territories.
- Preference will be given to direct assistance over indirect assistance.